Become an RYA Powerboat instructor with this four day course assessed by an independent Trainer on the last day.
The first day Prior to the instructor training course, students must attend a skills assessment day.
Failure to provide a skills assessment pass certificate will mean you are not allowed to join an instructor course.
Five seasons experience of powerboating logged (preferably in range of boat types and sizes) OR one season for those who use powerboats as an integral part of their normal full-time occupation.
- Age 16+
- First Aid Certificate
- RYA Powerboat level 2 and
- Complete a health declaration form or medical questionnaire
- RYA membership
Pontoon 6, Brighton Marina, BN2 5UP.
Your experience should be 5 years or 1 season with Powerboat as an integral part of your work with the RYA Level 2 or higher certificate.
On demand, normally twice a year in April and September.
Book online from the dates below or call 01273 42 48 42 option 1 or email us.
We strongly advise you contact us to confirm you meet the pre requiremenst for this course.
If you cannot find a date please contact us.
Booking terms and conditions apply and rebooking fees are charged for cancellations made with less than 4 weeks notice.
Book Your Session
We have two centres in Brighton. This activity take place from Lagoon Watersports in Brighton Marina DO NOT go to Lagoon Watersports, Hove Lagoon. If you are taking a taxi please make this clear to the driver.
Finding Brighton Boating once you are in Brighton Marina
Head towards the waterfront where you will see all the cafes and restaurants. Walk to the end of the boarded walk way where there will be a large bridge heading down towards the pontoons. We are the first set of pontoons on the right. Pontoon 6.
To Brighton Marina by car
Approaching the marina from the A27 take the B2123. Turn right at first set of traffic lights, signposted Brighton Town Centre, Racecourse and Marina Village. Turn left at second set of traffic lights, pass the Racecourse and follow the signs for the Marina Village where there is free parking for 1500 cars in the multi-storey car park. From the car park you can either go across a linking bridge on level 6 or from the ground floor of the car park towards all the waterfront cafes and bars. Walk to the end of the boarded walk way where there will be a large ramp heading down towards the pontoons. We are the first set of pontoons on the right. Pontoon 6.
Brighton and Hove bus service operates a number 7 bus approximately every 15 minutes 24 hours a day, from Brighton Town Centre (North Street or Queens Road), to the Marina Village.
Brighton Marina has a bike share station which is either pay per minute or a yearly membership, go to https://www.btnbikeshare.com for more information. For your own bike, racks are available on the main concourses of the pontoons. You must use the racks and not leave bikes on the pontoons otherwise Premier Marina will take them away.
Brighton Marina is a pleasant walk along the seafront from the centre of Brighton, it is 20 minutes walk from the main West Pier. During the summer you will also find the Volks electric railway operates along the front.
The nearest main line station is Brighton with regular connections to Chichester, Portsmouth and London is under an hour away. nationalrail.co.uk
Brighton is within easy reach of Heathrow and Gatwick international airports. Follow the A23 from Gatwick to Brighton. Shoreham airport is also available for private light aircraft.
What to bring
- Be prepared for changeable weather, bring plenty of layers
- Quick drying clothes can be very practical, please avoid jeans
- Sunglasses, sunhat and suncream for summer months and woolly hats, thermals and layers for winter months
- Deck boots and non-slip deck shoes or trainers that don’t mark
- If you have your own waterproofs, please bring them, or you can borrow ours
- If you are worried or unsure whether you suffer from seasickness then pills and wrist-bands work well. Don’t arrive on an empty stomach and take tablets with breakfast if you have never been sailing on the sea before, sometimes the motion takes a while to get used to
- Money for lunch or a packed lunch
Important additional items
- Please make sure you have your RYA Level 2 or higher certificate and logged experience,
suitable first aid certificate like the small craft first aid and the RYA G19 Powerboat instructor
handbook.You should also join the RYA as all instructors need to be members.
What not to bring
- We only have limited lockers for putting valuables in, so please minimise these as much as possible
On our yacht courses we use either our Beneteau 36.7 or Beneteau First 35, these are cruiser/racers with great performance – perfect for learning and RYA courses. They are commercially coded with safety equipment to the highest standard.
We also offer sailing courses in our smaller Delphia 24 keelboats, These 8 metre performance boats are used for racing and day sailing, very responsive boats for our RYA sailing courses.
If you would like more practice after your yacht courses or RYA Sailing Level 2 we offer:
- Sailing Clinics – at weekends from 1600 till 1800 for £40
- Racing – is a great way to practice too, we have boats entered in popular races like Round Island Race, Royal Escape or even mini races on our clinic nights
Lagoon Watersports Limited Terms and Conditions, trading as Brighton Boating
Rescheduling your dates
- More than 4 weeks before course/event – loss of deposit or 25% of course/event fee
- Less than 4 weeks before course/event – 100% of price of course/event
Group changes in numbers
Cancellation by Lagoon Watersports
Error: Contact form not found.