RYA Online Professional Practices & Responsibilities
RYA Online Professional Practices & Responsibilities (PPR)
Each year approximately 4,500 people apply to the RYA for a commercial endorsement in order to use their RYA qualifications professionally as skipper or crew. You could be doing anything from delivering a new yacht or driving a work boat with lifting and towing gear, to running a superyacht in the Med. Whatever your job is onboard, in the commercial world you are a professional seafarer. As such, you have a duty of care to crew, passengers, and other water users, and you will be held to account if things go wrong.
The course is broken down into four modules:
1. Commercial Environment – how you fit into the professional maritime world.
2. People – the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels.
3. Vessel – the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures. ·
4. Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
You will need to download resource material to keep using as a reference point. Before going for the final test please make sure you try the practice tests, as you will only have two chances in the final test.
We estimate users will take around 6 to 8 hours to work through the four course modules. The graded end of course assessment is split into two sections, totaling 2 ½ hours.
We will email you a personal username and password. You will be given tutorials on the site but you can also email our instructors with the link on the training site if you need any further assistance.
Once you have successfully completed the final test please print out your certificate. Please keep your login details safe incase you need to access the site to print out further copies of the certificate.
Book Your Session
This course is taken online from your home.
This is an online course. you will need a PC, Mac or Tablet to complete the course.
Once you have booked your course we will email you a personal username and password. You will be given tutorials on the site but you can also email our instructors with the link on the training site if you need any further assistance.
To complete the course you will need the navigation pack which is included in the course cost. This includes the training charts, training almanac, plotters and dividers. We will post to the address you used when booking online, unless you notify us otherwise.
If you do not hear from us with your login details please email us or phone 01273 42 48 42 option 1.
Lagoon Watersports Limited Terms and Conditions, trading as Brighton Boating
Rescheduling your dates
- More than 4 weeks before course/event – loss of deposit or 25% of course/event fee
- Less than 4 weeks before course/event – 100% of price of course/event
Group changes in numbers
Cancellation by Lagoon Watersports